Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
At the Vanderbilt Eye Institute, we strive to make life better for adults and children with eye conditions including glaucoma, vision loss and diseases of the retina. We treat patients from across Tennessee and the Southeast. Our doctors, researchers and support staff use the latest technologies and methods, and we conduct vital vision research that translates to better treatments.
Varied Shift ; Weekend or after-hours work may be required, as needed
Inflammation and new vessel growth in the retina can lead to vision loss from swelling, bleeding, scarring, and tissue traction as seen in diabetic retinopathy and retinopathy of prematurity. Our goal is to repurpose drugs previously developed to target inflammation and vascular growth in non-ocular systems to prevent, abort, or revert these potentially blinding conditions. We use human retinal cells from donor eyes as well as animal models to achieve these goals. Pharmacologic and genetic approaches are employed in our lab to block the function of target receptors (inhibitors, siRNA, or neutralizing antibodies in culture, and receptor knockout mouse strains or pharmacologic inhibition by drug delivery in animal models of disease) to discover and/or develop new therapies.
We are looking forward to working with a highly motivated individual who can collaborate with others in lab and who exhibits a high level of technical expertise as well as professionalism, dedication, reliability, and intellectual curiosity.
Provide, under direct supervision, support for specified research projects; collect, assess, and communicate data/results. Assist in general laboratory operation and inventory.
Under supervision, run experiments, assays, and record results
Read and follow experimental protocols (May include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
Compile and communicate results to supervisor
Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogenics)
Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
Prepare and operate equipment in experimental procedures
May include blood gas analyzer, centrifuge, pH meter, spectrophotometer, autoclave, scintillation counter, electrophoresis unit, analytical balance, etc.
Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines.
Ensure Laboratory is prepared for experiments
Maintain sterile conditions as required
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experiences:
* Experience in an academic research lab.
* 2-3 years of rigorous laboratory experience or the equivalent
* Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated ability to communicate research findings through publication in high impact, peer-reviewed journals and presentations at national meetings.
* Preference will be given to individuals who want to establish themselves in a stable long employment relationship with the laboratory and who are interested in continued professional development.
* Laboratory skills that are sought include:
- Breeding mice and working with animal models of human disease.
* Retinal dissection and ex-vivo analysis after therapy (leukostasis assays, vascular leakage assay (Evans blue extravasation))
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.