Located in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Co-works who feel like family
Faith based organization
PRN as needed, night shift
You Will be Responsible for:
· Assist surgeon during operative and invasive procedures.
· Ensure the operating suite is adequately prepared for the procedure.
· Monitor PAR level of all surgical instruments and supplies.
· Clean and sterilize all surgical instruments.
· Participate in departmental staff meetings and performance improvement activities.
· Interact professionally with patient and family.
· Provide patient with explanations and verbal reassurance, if necessary.
· Notify appropriate licensed professional when patient complains of pain.
· Adapt procedures to meet individual needs of neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients for treatment.
· Prepare room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies, and equipment for each individual surgical procedure.
· Demonstrate competence in care of specimens and accurately handle specimens at all times.
· Assist in positioning, prepping, and draping of patients for surgical procedures.
· Accurately complete operating room counts (instruments, sponges, needles); follow proper procedure in the event of incorrect count; report all discrepancies to Circulating Nurse and surgeon, and/or correct immediately.
· Carry out medical/surgical asepsis during treatments/procedures.
· Maintain safe environment for patient, co-workers and self, per hospital policies and procedures.
· Check all equipment/instruments needed, prior to each procedure to ensure proper functioning.
· Protect patient’s sensitivities and right to privacy; closely observe patient with minimal disturbance.
· Treat patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identify and address psychosocial, cultural, ethnic, and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families. · Follow aseptic technique when opening sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
· Perform all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care error.
· Set up, scrub, and prepare for procedures at least fifteen minutes prior to scheduled time, unless otherwise directed by Circulating Nurse or Nurse Manager.
· Perform services requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of the Circulating RN.
· Maintain an orderly and sterile instrument table at all times for the purpose of efficiency; follow department standard set-up.
· Anticipate needs of surgeon during intraoperative phase.
· Clean and prepare rooms between procedures and after last case; restock supplies when necessary and organize effectively for end of case clean up.
· Be responsible for the care of instruments and equipment during intra/postoperative phase, including cleaning and processing of instruments.
· Follow written procedures for steam sterilization; know responsibilities and the necessity for chemical and biological monitoring.
· Consult with other staff members when in question or unfamiliar with equipment or procedure.
· Regularly collaborate with other members of the nursing team, in order to maintain equipment and supplies for surgical procedures.
· Complete documentation within shift and meet current standards, policies and procedures.
· Establish and maintain effective communication and good working relationship with co-workers, for the patient’s benefit.
· Make decisions reflecting knowledge of facts and good judgment within the Operating Room Technician’s scope of practice.
· Make decisions reflecting knowledge of assigned case and instruments and/or trays to be pulled for the procedure
What You Will Need:
National Surgical Technician certification or must be certified within one year of employment
Current American Heart BLS required at hire
Graduate of an accredited Surgical Tech Program required
One year OR experience preferred
Additional languages preferred
Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing required
Assist surgeon during operative and invasive procedures. Ensure operating suite is adequately prepared for procedure. Monitor PAR level of all surgical instruments and supplies. Clean and sterilize all surgical instruments
AdventHealth Greater Orlando (formerly Florida Hospital) is one of the largest faith-based health care providers in the United States. For 150 years, we have carried on a tradition of providing whole-person care that not only addresses patients' physical ailments, but also supports their emotional and spiritual well-being. We demonstrate the same level of compassion and care for our employees as well, doing all that we can to help them realize their full potential – both personally and professionally.